Mission Statement & Code of Conduct
Player’s Code of Conduct;
Play by the rules – the rules of your club and the laws of the game.
Never argue with an umpire or other official – without these people, you can’t play football.
Control your temper - verbal abuse of officials and sledging other players doesn’t help you enjoy or win any games.
Be a team player – It’s a team game, treat it that way.
Treat all players as you would like to be treated – fairly.
Co-operate with your coach, the umpires and team-mates.
Play for your own enjoyment & to improve your skills.
Don’t use ugly remarks based on race, religion, gender or ability – you’ll let down your coach, team-mates and family if you do – & many such comments are actually now illegal.
Parents and Supporters Code of Conduct;
Remember that you are there for the participants to enjoy the game.
Encourage participation, but don’t force it.
Teach that enjoyment is more important than winning.
Never ridicule mistakes or losses – supporters are there to support not downgrade.
Lead by example and respect all players, coaches, umpires and spectators – physical or verbal abuse will not be tolerated.
Recognise all volunteers who are giving up their valuable time.
Never publicly criticise umpires – raise personal concerns with club officials in private.
Do not use ugly remarks based on race, religion, gender or ability – you’ll let down your family and yourself if you do – and many such comments are actually now illegal.
COACHES CODE OF CONDUCT;
As a coach, I hereby commit, to the best of my ability, to uphold the AFL Coaches Code of Conduct. I understand that as an integral component of my accreditation, I must maintain a standard of behaviour and conduct in the best interests of the game and the players/ staff in my care. In representing myself in an honest manner and without bringing the coaching profession or the Game into disrepute, I will endeavour to uphold the following to the best of my ability:
1. I will respect the rights, dignity and worth of all individuals within the context of my involvement in Australian Football, including refraining from any discriminatory practices on the basis of race, religion, ethnic background, or special ability/disability.
2. I will abide by and teach the AFL Laws of the Game and the Rules of my Club and League/Association.
3. I will be reasonable in the demands I make on the time commitments of the players in my care, having due consideration for their health and well-being.
4. I will refrain from any form of personal abuse or unnecessary physical contact with the players in my care.
5. I will have due consideration for varying maturity and ability levels of my players when designing practice schedules, practice activities and involvement in competition.
6. I will avoid overplaying the talented players aiming to maximise participation and enjoyment for all players regardless of ability. Where I am responsible for players in the 5-12 year old age group, I will ensure that all players gain equal playing time.
7. I will stress and monitor safety always.
8. In recognising the significance of injury and sickness, I will seek and follow the physician’s advice concerning the return of injured or ill players to training.
9. I will endeavour to keep informed regarding sound principles of coaching and skill development, and of factors relating to the welfare of my players.
10. I will at all times display and teach appropriate sporting behaviour, ensuring that players understand and practise fair play.
11. I will display and foster respect for umpires, opponents, coaches, administrators, other officials, parents and spectators.
12. I will ensure that players are involved in a positive environment where skill learning and development are priorities are not overshadowed by a desire to win.
13. I reject the use of performance enhancing substances in sport and will abide by the guidelines set forth in the AFL Drug Policy.